Saturday, September 6, 2008

New Goals

Well....I certainly must thank Julia for putting the simplemom.net on her website. I think that this woman has some wonderful ideas and it has been an inspiration for me! As most people know Rob and I really want to move back to NYC. We said that we would move next year, but now we have decided that it might not be the best decision financially. We have decided that we will stay here (and yes in our apartment) until we have paid off school loans and the one car loan that we have. Once we free up that money then we will feel a weight lifted off our shoulders and be able to live comfortably in NYC. I don't really know how long that will take....hopefully by the time Reese is school age-yes our student loans are huge!!! Rob's alma mater for grad school is Yale and it wasn't cheap!!! haha

At least now that I have made the goal we can settle into life a little more comfortably. It was hard always being up the air with buying a house, deciding what to do next, and of course answering all the questions about our life. I guess that might be one of the hardest things for me because many people think that the dream in life is to buy a home, have a family, etc. What is funny for me is that I never dreamed of owning a home....I always loved living in apartments in NYC and Boston and of course here in ATL. I know that I am not a lawn/garden person and I don't want to keep up with that maintenance...I seriously can only imagine what our house in Centennial would have looked like if we lived there. I am not a decorator person (although I absolutely love seeing how people do it and watching those shows). I am just not creative that way. Accepting it makes it a lot easier...now if other people could realize that their dreams don't have to be mine....but maybe that is really how I perceive things and not really reality....your thoughts????

4 comments:

Maggie Pelton said...

So glad you've found some encouragement from simple mom. I'm loving her! I really feel in control now that we're back on our Dave Ramsey cash system (highly recommend), I'm diligintly planning our meals again, and maybe for the first time, my house is actually being cleaned well (we'll see how long that one lasts!!) Keep up the good work and I must say I'm excited that you plan on sticking around for a while because it looks like we're staying for a while, too!

Carrie Vitale said...

Cute blog! And I'm SO happy to hear that you are staying for a while!! Often times, once you make a big decision, the small things just fall into place...which it sounds like you guys have done. Did I mention that I'm happy you are staying??

Kristi said...

So happy to hear you are staying for a while! Great post...so true! Everyone has different dreams/goals, and as long as you're doing what makes YOU happy, that's ALL that matters!!
I'm loving "simple mom" too!! Although, I haven't started doing anything yet...I will as soon as the dog overcomes his incontinance! That's all I can handle right now!! Again, glad you're staying for a little while!

Jessica said...

I'm not sure if I should be happy or sad that you're staying. I would like to say that I'm thrilled, however you know how sad I'm going to be when we have to go!! I thought it would be a little easier knowing that we were both going to be leaving...at least Ryan is trying to make me think that:) I still don't know how I will explain to Isabella that Reese can't come over...now that I'm crying I guess I need to just enjoy it while it lasts! I am really happy that you have some defined goals and know what direction you are headed. While you may want to return to NY, you will be much happier returning there once you have reached your financial goals.